Aug 12, 2009

Wacky Wednesday Challenge

if you could only keep one piece of furniture - which one would it be, and why?

I would have to say without hesitation or doubt that the most precious piece of furniture I own is my Rosewood Table. I do not have many things of value except for this one table that has been in the family for several generations. I can always remember it being in my mother's home and she had told me that it came from her mother, which would be my maternal grandmother who I had never met. I can still see the table sitting next to my mother's favorite chair and to my horror I also can see a smoking cigarette sitting off the edge of it or even a glass of some type of alcoholic beverage making a circle stain on the top of it. When my mother passed away, my sister June inherited the table and I believe it sat in her storage room just piled with old account journals and what not from her dairy farm business. When I was in my 30's, my sister June and her husband Claude made a trip to visit me in Ohio, coming from upstate New York. They brought with them the rosewood table, saying they thought that I would appreciate it more. I loved that table and every unique little nook and cranny on it. It had the most beautiful brass feet at the bottom of some very artistically designed legs. It had a small drawer on the bottom and I can always remember that being a cool place to put something that you would never want anyone to find. I placed the table in my living room and covered the stained and cigarette burned top with a lacy cloth. Then one day we made the decision to sell our home and to completely downsize on all our processions. All the kids except one had left home and we really did not need such a large house. I asked my daughter if she would like the rosewood table, she said yes, but when it came time to take it in the truck she had rented for all the other pieces of furniture I had given her, there was no room for the rosewood. It was shortly after that while I was packing up some fragile items that I came across an article in the paper I was using for packing. It said, do you have a rosewood heirloom and need to have it refinished.......it just jumped right out at me. I called the number and was so surprised to find this very person to be within a mile of my home. He specialized in refinishing or restoring rosewood and other rare woods. He took one look at my table and was in heaven. He said, "I don't think you know what you have here." This is a very rare and intricate table. He went on to explain that there was no more rosewood in all of the world and that anything made with pure rosewood as was this table, was indeed valuable. He gave it a price of about $10,000 and offered to restore it for $1,000. He made the table absolutely beautiful and I cherish it so much to this day.

5 comments:

Sharyn said...

wow! what a neat story! I would never have realized the value either - how fun to find that added bonus in a piece that you were so sentimentally drawn to. I'm so glad it stayed with you!

Jane said...

Rosewood is so beautiful. I would love to see a photo of your table Linda.

see me said...

A great story and a lovely table! Hope we get to see it soon

Sandee said...

Now THAT is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!
Sandee

Tamarra said...

absolutely gorgeous.. wow.. great story.

Sense and Sensibility

Bind-it-all Project

Bind-it-all Project
Page Parts

Under the Weather

Under the Weather
My Pug loves me.

Family Roots

Family Roots